Court wants an agency other than police to handle seized drugs
New Delhi: A Delhi court has mooted the idea of having an agency other than the police to store contraband drugs after their seizure and to send them for forensic tests to rule out chances of their tempering or delay in sending them to laboratory.
Special Judge Narinder Kumar mooted the idea while sentencing two Delhi residents, Sucha Singh and Manjeet, caught with 15 and 16 kgs of contraband `ganja` respectively, to three years in jail and with a fine of Rs 15,000 each.
The court gave the idea response to the arguments by the two convicts during the trial that the police might have tempered with the seized contraband during the period it had kept it in its custody.
While discounting their fears, the court, however, said, "..This court feels that in order to avoid any such delay and to rule out possibility of any kind of tampering with the case property...Provision can be made for deposit and storage of the case property i.e contraband, with any department other than the police department, soon after its recovery/seizure."
The court said the police is often accused of tampering with the seized drug samples due to delay in dispatching them to the forensic labs and it could be avoided if a department, other than the police, is set up for its proper storage.
"Such other department may be required to deal with/ handle the case property for the purposes of its safe storage and dispatch of samples to laboratories for analysis," the judge said, adding, "but it is for the legislature, government and concerned authorities to take steps in this regard."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened