Court wants an agency other than police to handle seized drugs
New Delhi: A Delhi court has mooted the idea of having an agency other than the police to store contraband drugs after their seizure and to send them for forensic tests to rule out chances of their tempering or delay in sending them to laboratory.
Special Judge Narinder Kumar mooted the idea while sentencing two Delhi residents, Sucha Singh and Manjeet, caught with 15 and 16 kgs of contraband `ganja` respectively, to three years in jail and with a fine of Rs 15,000 each.
The court gave the idea response to the arguments by the two convicts during the trial that the police might have tempered with the seized contraband during the period it had kept it in its custody.
While discounting their fears, the court, however, said, "..This court feels that in order to avoid any such delay and to rule out possibility of any kind of tampering with the case property...Provision can be made for deposit and storage of the case property i.e contraband, with any department other than the police department, soon after its recovery/seizure."
The court said the police is often accused of tampering with the seized drug samples due to delay in dispatching them to the forensic labs and it could be avoided if a department, other than the police, is set up for its proper storage.
"Such other department may be required to deal with/ handle the case property for the purposes of its safe storage and dispatch of samples to laboratories for analysis," the judge said, adding, "but it is for the legislature, government and concerned authorities to take steps in this regard."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?