CPI against immunity scheme for tax evaders
New Delhi: The Communist Party of India on Saturday
opposed the government`s reported plan to announce an immunity
scheme for tax evaders who have stashed away black money by
charging them up to 45 per cent tax.
"I am writing this letter regarding the proposal from the
Finance Ministry to announce immunity to all tax evaders, who
have stashed away black money in India and abroad and allow
them to pay tax plus penalty amounting to 45 per cent or so,"
CPI Deputy General Secretary S Sudhakar Reddy said in a letter
to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
Reddy said that about 15 days ago, the Finance Minister
had hinted at such a proposal and asked the Central Board
of Direct Taxes (CBDT) to work out the details.
"This proposal is nothing but allowing black money holders
to convert the same into white money by paying some penalty.
Now the CBDT, it is understood, has worked out the details.
This is a betrayal of the nation," he added.
Reports have appeared that in the Union Budget, Finance
Minister Pranab Mukherjee may announce such an immunity scheme
for tax evaders to come clean after paying tax plus a penalty,
collectively amounting to 45 per cent.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory