CPI asks India to keep away from CHOGM Summit
New Delhi: CPI on Saturday demanded India keep away from the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) in Sri Lanka and rework its policy towards the island nation in the wake of a purported expose which showed a young woman was captured and killed by the Lankan army.
"The Channel 4 expose of gang rape and killing of Isai Priya, a media person in Sri Lanka, is a barbaric inhuman act by the Sri Lankan army," CPI leader D Raja charged. This is one of many evidences to accuse Sri Lankan government for "horrendous war crimes and human rights violations", he added.
Against this backdrop, the CHOGM becomes an issue. "It is appropriate that the government has to keep away from the Summit. The Commonwealth is not such a multilateral forum that the country cannot keep off," he told while pointing out that Canada has boycotted the CHOGM in Sri Lanka.
Raja alleged UPA government "is confused and divided" over India`s participation in the Summit. While Union Shipping Minister Vasan is stressing that Centre should boycott the CHOGM, he said Union Minister of State for Commerce and Industry Sudarsana Natchiappan "is speaking in support of our participation".
He also urged Finance Minister P Chidambaram to clarify his stand over the issue. "Chidambaram, a senior most Minister in the cabinet, is maintaining silence over the issue. Nobody knows what is his position," Raja said.
The CPI leader further stated that the Centre cannot ignore the unanimous resolution adopted by Tamil Nadu assembly seeking India`s complete boycott of the CHOGM and Congress (in Tamil Nadu) was a party to the resolution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Gadkari to meet FM Jaitley today for vehicle scrapping policy
- Hot scoop! THIS actress has replaced Alia Bhatt in Rohit Shetty's next?
- Argentina coach Edgardo Bauza keen on reducing Lionel Messi's workload
- Amarinder Singh makes fresh offer to Navjot Singh Sidhu, says he has Congress in his DNA
- Rio 2016: After golden Olympic run, Justin Rose returns to regular job