CPI asks India to keep away from CHOGM Summit
New Delhi: CPI on Saturday demanded India keep away from the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) in Sri Lanka and rework its policy towards the island nation in the wake of a purported expose which showed a young woman was captured and killed by the Lankan army.
"The Channel 4 expose of gang rape and killing of Isai Priya, a media person in Sri Lanka, is a barbaric inhuman act by the Sri Lankan army," CPI leader D Raja charged. This is one of many evidences to accuse Sri Lankan government for "horrendous war crimes and human rights violations", he added.
Against this backdrop, the CHOGM becomes an issue. "It is appropriate that the government has to keep away from the Summit. The Commonwealth is not such a multilateral forum that the country cannot keep off," he told while pointing out that Canada has boycotted the CHOGM in Sri Lanka.
Raja alleged UPA government "is confused and divided" over India`s participation in the Summit. While Union Shipping Minister Vasan is stressing that Centre should boycott the CHOGM, he said Union Minister of State for Commerce and Industry Sudarsana Natchiappan "is speaking in support of our participation".
He also urged Finance Minister P Chidambaram to clarify his stand over the issue. "Chidambaram, a senior most Minister in the cabinet, is maintaining silence over the issue. Nobody knows what is his position," Raja said.
The CPI leader further stated that the Centre cannot ignore the unanimous resolution adopted by Tamil Nadu assembly seeking India`s complete boycott of the CHOGM and Congress (in Tamil Nadu) was a party to the resolution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing