CPMF slammed for ignoring SC guidelines on sexual harassment
New Delhi: A Parliamentary panel has come down
heavily on the paramilitary forces, especially the BSF, over
lack of strict adherence to Supreme Court guidelines on sexual
The Committee on Empowerment of Women, in its report on
`Women in Paramilitary Forces` tabled in both Lok Sabha and
Rajya Sabha today, observed that the guidelines of the Supreme
Court "are not being scrupulously followed in paramilitary
The 33-page report pointed out that it has been made
mandatory for all paramilitary forces to set up complaint
cells headed by lady officers to investigate cases of sexual
harassment in pursuance of the apex court judgement in the
Asking the Home Ministry to devise an effective mechanism
to deal with cases of sexual harassment in paramilitary
forces, the panel expressed "surprise" over the practice of
officers` wives judging such complaints lodged by women
employees in BSF.
"The committee is surprised to note that in some of these
forces, especially BSF, wives of officers listen to grievances
of women employees which can never be unbiased or impartial
corrective measure as there have been cases where women
employees were harassed by their seniors and the wives of
senior officers sat on the judgement," the panel said.
The Committee strongly recommended that the Ministry of
Home Affairs should ensure that the SC guidelines on sexual
harassment are once again reiterated afresh so that all
central paramilitary forces follow these guidelines for
strict compliance by them.
The committee also recommended that the practice of
hearing such cases by wives of senior officers should be
"dispensed with immediately" as it can never be impartial.
It also observed that in some of the paramilitary forces
women NGO members were included in the sexual harassment
"The committee is of the firm opinion that a woman NGO
must be invariably included in these committees to avoid
intimidation of women victims by the male officers," the
The panel, headed by Chandresh Kumari, asked the Union
Home Ministry to devise a "strict monitoring mechanism" to
look into cases of sexual harassment in paramilitary forces.
It laid down a six-month timeline for completion of
inquiry into such complaints and recommended more gender
sensitisation programmes, mobile toilets and creche facilities
in all forces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon