CPM’s new politburo: Buddhadeb in, VS out
Kozhikode (Kerala): There were question marks over both. But while former West Bengal chief minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee retained his place in the CPI-M politburo, former Kerala chief minister V.S. Achuthanandan failed to make it.
A 15-member politburo and a new central committee, which will be the watchdog of the Communist Party of India-Marxist for the next three years, were named Monday on the final day of the 20th party congress here.
Besides Karat, other members of the politburo are Pinarayi Vijayan, Kodiyeri Balakrishnan, S. Ramachandran Pillai, B.V. Raghavelu, Manik Sarkar, Brinda Karat, Sitaram Yechuri, K. Varadarajan, Bhattacharjee, Nirupam Sen and Biman Basu.
West Bengal`s opposition leader, Suryakanta Misra, trade union leader and Centre for Indian Trade Unions president A.K. Padmanabhan from Tamil Nadu and M.A. Baby from Kerala are the three new faces.
Baby made it into the politburo in the seat vacated by Achuthanandan, who was booted out in 2009 for bickering with the powerful Kerala state secretary Pinarayi Vijayan.
But the veteran had reasons for cheer as there was speculation he might be forced out of the central committee. That did not happen.
The 89-member central committee includes 13 new faces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you