CPM’s new politburo: Buddhadeb in, VS out
Kozhikode (Kerala): There were question marks over both. But while former West Bengal chief minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee retained his place in the CPI-M politburo, former Kerala chief minister V.S. Achuthanandan failed to make it.
A 15-member politburo and a new central committee, which will be the watchdog of the Communist Party of India-Marxist for the next three years, were named Monday on the final day of the 20th party congress here.
Besides Karat, other members of the politburo are Pinarayi Vijayan, Kodiyeri Balakrishnan, S. Ramachandran Pillai, B.V. Raghavelu, Manik Sarkar, Brinda Karat, Sitaram Yechuri, K. Varadarajan, Bhattacharjee, Nirupam Sen and Biman Basu.
West Bengal`s opposition leader, Suryakanta Misra, trade union leader and Centre for Indian Trade Unions president A.K. Padmanabhan from Tamil Nadu and M.A. Baby from Kerala are the three new faces.
Baby made it into the politburo in the seat vacated by Achuthanandan, who was booted out in 2009 for bickering with the powerful Kerala state secretary Pinarayi Vijayan.
But the veteran had reasons for cheer as there was speculation he might be forced out of the central committee. That did not happen.
The 89-member central committee includes 13 new faces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened