CWG: CBI awaiting Letters Rogatory replies to nail Kalmadi
New Delhi: The CBI has sent a request to the
United Kingdom seeking details of financial dealing of London-
based Ashish Patel, the owner of AM Films and AM Vans, who is
named as an accused in Commonwealth Games corruption cases.
The agency has sent a Letters Rogatory to Britain,
official sources said.
The sleuths probing the allegations of corruption in
Commonwealth Games have tracked an e-mail written by Patel to
Organising Committee treasurer M Jaychandran which, they
claim, confirms that kickbacks were paid to CWG Organising
Committee Chief Suresh Kalmadi.
Patel`s mail mentions details of money which was
allegedly paid to Kalmadi and says that the dues should be
cleared as swiftly as possible to his companies whose services
were used during Queen`s Baton Relay.
To corroborate the contents of mail, the CBI was trying
to extract information from Patel but so far he has remained
non-cooperative, the sources said.
Officials privy to the probe said they were trying to
question Patel regarding his company`s services extended
during the ceremonies associated with the Queen`s Baton Relay
and alleged monetary exchanges involved in it.
The non-cooperation from Patel had prompted the agency
to adopt a more rigorous legal path of sending Letter Rogatory
to the United Kingdom in this regard.
Patel, who is accused in two cases involving the QBR, was
allegedly paid 2.45 Lakh British Pounds for the services which
was in violation of norms.
CBI said the first case was registered under different
Sections of IPC and Prevention of Corruption Act in relation
to the award of contract to London based AM Car and Van Hire
Ltd at exorbitant rates.
The CBI had charged former OC Joint Director General TS
Darbari, former Deputy Director General Sanjay Mahendroo,
Director Raj Singh, Patel, and other unknown persons under
relevant provisions of Indian Penal Code.
The agency has alleged that the accused officials of OC
in conspiracy with the transport firm and its Director awarded
work to the said firm at exorbitant rates without following
the standard tender process.
The work was awarded on the false premise that the firm
was on the panel of Indian High Commission, London. Two
e-mails were allegedly forged by the officials of OC to
justify the selection of the firm, the CBI has said.
The second case involves London-based A M Films, Patel,
Mahendroo, Darbari and others in awarding the work of
installation of video screens at the venue of QBR allegedly at
exorbitant rates on the basis of fake quotations and without
following standard procedure, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe