CWG scam: CBI opposes Kalmadi`s bail plea
New Delhi: CBI on Monday opposed former CWG
Organising Committee chief Suresh Kalmadi`s plea for bail on
the ground of delay in trial in a Commonwealth Games-related
graft case against him saying the trial is to begin soon on a
Appearing for the probe agency before Justice Mukta
Gupta, counsel Dayan Krishnan referred to the Special CBI
court`s January 4 order and submitted the trial court has
decided to hear the matter on a day-to-day basis.
He said the trial judge would take up the case for trial
on day-to-day basis soon after the ongoing scrutiny of
documents is over.
"As the trial court has decided to hear the matter on a
day-to-day basis, no question of delay in the trial arises,"
Special Public Prosecutor Krishnan told the court, opposing
The lawyer also argued there is nothing new in the "bail-
is-rule-and-jail-an-exception" dictum, observed by the
Supreme Court while granting bail in the 2G case.
Kalmadi has approached the high court for bail citing the
apex court`s order in 2G case, claiming parity with the 2G
case accused and also citing the reasons of delay in the trial
of the case against him.
Justice Gupta posted the matter for further hearing on
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'