CWG scam: CBI opposes Kalmadi`s bail plea
New Delhi: CBI on Monday opposed former CWG
Organising Committee chief Suresh Kalmadi`s plea for bail on
the ground of delay in trial in a Commonwealth Games-related
graft case against him saying the trial is to begin soon on a
Appearing for the probe agency before Justice Mukta
Gupta, counsel Dayan Krishnan referred to the Special CBI
court`s January 4 order and submitted the trial court has
decided to hear the matter on a day-to-day basis.
He said the trial judge would take up the case for trial
on day-to-day basis soon after the ongoing scrutiny of
documents is over.
"As the trial court has decided to hear the matter on a
day-to-day basis, no question of delay in the trial arises,"
Special Public Prosecutor Krishnan told the court, opposing
The lawyer also argued there is nothing new in the "bail-
is-rule-and-jail-an-exception" dictum, observed by the
Supreme Court while granting bail in the 2G case.
Kalmadi has approached the high court for bail citing the
apex court`s order in 2G case, claiming parity with the 2G
case accused and also citing the reasons of delay in the trial
of the case against him.
Justice Gupta posted the matter for further hearing on
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video