Dalai Lama may have a symbolic role: Speaker
Dharamsala: The Dalai Lama may be given
a symbolic or an advisory role, said Dolma Tsering Deputy
Speaker of the Tibetan parliament-in-exile, even as efforts
are on to persuade the spiritual leader to retain some kind of
mentoring role for the government.
She also added that the final call on the matter will
be taken by the Dalai Lama himself.
The speaker also said that the charter reform
committee will be formed on Monday and may have 5 members.
The committee will present a draft of the amendment
bill to the Parliamentary Secretariat by April 11, 2011.
The committee shall be formed by the Speaker and the
Deputy Speaker of the 14th Tibetan Parliament-in-Exile.
The members of the 14th Tibetan Parliament-in-Exile,
which concluded its 10-day session in Dharamsala yesterday,
unanimously passed a resolution to amend the Charter to
finally pave way for the Dalai Lama`s proposal to give up his
The members of parliament will hold a "special
session" for the implementation of the amendments.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- Divyansh Kakrora's death: Probe nails Ryan International School for glaring lapses; father alleges child was sodomised before murder
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step