Dalai Lama wishes to donate Rs 10 lakh to AIIMS
New Delhi: Tibetan spiritual leader Dalai Lama has offered to donate Rs 10 lakh to the Dr RP Centre for Ophthalmic Sciences in the AIIMS where he was treated for cataract in both his eyes.
The 76-year-old spiritual leader had undergone cataract surgery of his eyes in the hospital.
"He was very happy with the treatment. He had undergone surgery for cataract in both eyes. Last month when he was here for check-up, he expressed his desire to donate Rs 10 lakh to the department," said Dr Rajvardhan Azad, professor of Ophthalmology and Head, vitreo-retina and ocular trauma unit of AIIMS.
"The cataract was removed and an intra-ocular lens has been implanted in Dalai Lama`s eyes for better vision. His vision has been restored," the ophthalmologist said.
"This donation will be used for the welfare of the resident doctors. It will be accepted by the Ophthalmic Research Association," he said.
Dr Azad also said, "The interest that gets generated from this Rs 10 lakh will be utilised for scholarship and other scholarly works of medical students, including junior and senior resident doctors."
Cataract is clouding of the eye`s natural lens, which lie behind the iris and the pupil, and it is a common cause of vision loss in elderly people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof