Dalbir Suhag`s appointment as Army Chief is final: Defence Minister Arun Jaitley
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Urging the opposition to not politicise the affidavit row, Defence Minister Arun Jaitley said on Wednesday that the appointment of General Dalbir Suhag is final.
Responding to the opposition`s demand that VK Singh be removed from the council of ministers for coming out against the government`s affidavit in the apex court on the appointment row.
“We must keep Army appointments out of political realm. As far as government is concerned, the appointment of Army Chief is final,” Jaitely said in Rajya Sabha.
Jaitley took a firm stand after Congress leader Anand Sharma slammed VK Singh. “How can he keep tweeting and make statements? He`s demoralising the forces,” Sharma said.
Sharma also demanded a clarification from Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on the issue.
After defence ministry`s affidavit in the Supreme Court termed as "illegal" his decision to put a ban on promotion of Army Chief designate Dalbir Suhag, Singh took to twitter to resister his protest.
Singh is Minister of State for Development of North Eastern Region, External Affairs and Overseas Indian Affairs in the Modi cabinet.
The affidavit, in a promotion case related to Lt Gen Ravi Dastane, said the alleged lapses which were made as grounds to impose disciplinary ban on Suhag were "premeditated", "vague" and "illegal".
However, Singh has justified his action, as army chief, to impose Discipline and Vigilance(DV) ban on Suhag for an alleged botched up military intelligence operation by a unit under him.
"If unit kills innocents, does dacoity and then head of organization tries to protect them, should he not be blamed? Criminals should go free!!," Singh tweeted.
The former Army Chief`s comments came against the backdrop of reports that a unit under Lt General Dalbir Suhag had allegedly carried out killings and daocities in the North East region.
Latching on to the affidavit, Congress spokesperson Abishek Singhvi sought the resignation of V K Singh, saying that the NDA government`s affidavit in the Supreme Court on the issue of Army vice chief Dalbir Singh Suhag`s promotion was an expression of "no confidence" in him.
Singh had a running battle with the UPA II government over a controversy on his date of birth.
Incidentally, he is the first minister whose resignation is sought by the Opposition since the BJP government was formed a fortnight ago.
The Defence Ministry, meanwhile, said it has adhered to its stand taken earlier on the issue related to imposition of Discipline and Vigilance(DV) ban on Suhag by Gen Singh.
In his other tweet, V K Singh asked," MOD affidavit same as it gave to AFT(Armed Forces Tribunal) under protective and conniving UPA, so what is new folks?"
In yet another tweet, he attacked Singhvi saying, "All who got carried away by Singhvi`s tirade. "Chhaj to bole so bole who chhalni kya bole jismen1800 chhed" (pot calling the kettle black)."
Meanwhile, BJP leader Subramanian Swamy has demanded that whoever filed the affidavit must be held accountable.
With agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared