Dalits to rally for Bahujan Lokpal bill
New Delhi: Complaining that Team Anna`s Jan Lokpal bill lacks representation from backward and minority communities, a Dalit organisation will demonstrate Wednesday evening to push for a Bahujan Lokpal bill.
The All India Confederation of SC/ST Organisations has called for a rally at India Gate at 5 p.m. for inclusion of representatives from minority and backward classes in the process of formation of a stringent anti-corruption law.
"The Dalit or minority communities together constitute 85 percent population of the country but the Anna-led civil society does not represent them. Yet it is claiming to be representative of the entire country," said the organisation`s leader Udit Raj.
He said the government`s version of the Lokpal bill and Team Anna`s Jan Lokpal bill have shortcomings and draconian clauses.
"They need to be debated. As concerned citizens belonging to backward and minority communities, we think that a Lokpal Bill must propose a Lokpal, consisting of representative members from these communities," Raj said.
"It is important because the caste prejudices of the members would work against the weak and vulnerable in the process of their work as public functionaries. Even the members of the Lokpal may be subject to such caste and religious prejudices," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!