Dalits to rally for Bahujan Lokpal bill
New Delhi: Complaining that Team Anna`s Jan Lokpal bill lacks representation from backward and minority communities, a Dalit organisation will demonstrate Wednesday evening to push for a Bahujan Lokpal bill.
The All India Confederation of SC/ST Organisations has called for a rally at India Gate at 5 p.m. for inclusion of representatives from minority and backward classes in the process of formation of a stringent anti-corruption law.
"The Dalit or minority communities together constitute 85 percent population of the country but the Anna-led civil society does not represent them. Yet it is claiming to be representative of the entire country," said the organisation`s leader Udit Raj.
He said the government`s version of the Lokpal bill and Team Anna`s Jan Lokpal bill have shortcomings and draconian clauses.
"They need to be debated. As concerned citizens belonging to backward and minority communities, we think that a Lokpal Bill must propose a Lokpal, consisting of representative members from these communities," Raj said.
"It is important because the caste prejudices of the members would work against the weak and vulnerable in the process of their work as public functionaries. Even the members of the Lokpal may be subject to such caste and religious prejudices," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened