Danish HC rejects Davy`s plea of old warrant
New Delhi: The Danish High Court, which is hearing the extradition case of Purulia Arms drop case accused Kim Davy, has rejected his plea that since the warrant
produced by the CBI was an old one it cannot not be the basis for handing over him to India.
Facing criticism for the blooper in the extradition case after it was pointed out that warrant issued by Kolkata court was an old one, the CBI managed to convince the High Court with the help of local officials that as per Indian law a warrant issued by a competent court remains in force till it is executed or it is cancelled by the same court.
On Monday, advocate for the accused Niels Holck alias Kim Davy made a submission that the warrant against his client was old one after which the CBI got it extended from the special court in Kolkata.
As per section 70(2) of CrPC, a warrant issued by a competent court remains in force till it is executed or it is cancelled by the same court. There is no question of a warrant getting expired as reported in a section of media, CBI spokesperson Dharini Mishra said in a statement.
The CBI "keeping the sensitivity and importance of the case", however, decided to request the court in Kolkata to extend the execution date of the same warrant which was duly done on Wednesday.
"The Prosecutor, supported by the CBI team in Denmark opposed this plea with Indian and Danish laws and facts which was accepted by the honourable Danish High Court and objection raised by the defense was not accepted," she said.
The spokesperson in a statement said the fact that warrant was an old one has in "no way" affected the appeal proceedings in Danish High court which continued its hearings till Thursday as decided earlier.
"The Danish High Court has concluded its hearing of the appeal on May 19 and decided to pronounce the verdict before summer vacations beginning in month of July, 2011," she said.
Giving the background of the case, she said the non- bailable warrant issued by special court, Kolkata was communicated to Danish government based on which the Justice Ministry there had allowed the extradition of Kim Davy.
"On basis of the warrant issued by the Kolkata court and subsequent extradition order issued by the Justice Ministry, Davy was duly arrested on April 09, 2010 and kept in custody for one day," the statement said.
When he was produced before the Danish court, it allowed him to be released on conditional bail (in Indian terminology) but his further arrested can only take place by an order of Danish court hearing his extradition matter, it said.
After the trial court did not confirm its order of extradition Davy to India the authorities there filed an appeal before the Danish High Court which is pending.
"Thus for all practical purpose the warrant issued by Kolkata court has been executed by the Danish police on request of CBI. At present status of Kim Davy is that of an accused person arrested and released on conditional bail by the court in Denmark," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in