Dawood Ibrahim`s close aide Iqbal Mirchi dies in London
Zee Media Bureau
London: Muhammed Iqbal Memon (also known as Iqbal Mirchi), an accused in 1993 Mumbai serial blasts and a close aide of Dawood Ibrahim, died of heart attack in London on Wednesday night.
Mirchi, facing drug smuggling charges in India, was also under investigation over the Indian Premier League match-fixing and betting scandal.
In 2011, the London police had arrested Iqbal Mirchi, but the international drug baron was soon out on bail. A red corner notice had been issued against him in 1994 by Interpol on Central Bureau of Investigation`s request.
The Metropolitan police had charged him with threatening to kill his 41-year-old associate Nadeem Kader, who also lived in the Hornchurch area of Essex where Mirchi owned a six-bedroom house.
The 63-year old Mirchi was ranked among the world`s top 50 drug barons.
A United Nations report had claimed he is a senior figure in the `D` company, a worldwide organised-crime syndicate headed by Dawood.
In April 1995, officers from Scotland Yard had raided Mirchi`s home and arrested him on drugs and terrorism charges in connection with the blasts in Mumbai.
However, an extradition request by India was turned down by magistrates here.
Scotland Yard`s investigation of Mirchi, which ended in 1999, found no evidence of criminal activity and in 2001 the UK Home Office granted him indefinite leave to remain in the UK.
The CBI had attempted to revive its extradition request at the time but the UK`s Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) had dropped all charges against him because "the evidence received was not enough to provide a realistic prospect of conviction".
The name Mirchi relates to his family`s red chilli powder business back in India, a country he fled in the 1990s.
He had repeatedly expressed a wish to return to his "homeland" if the CBI dropped its extradition claims.
India`s most-wanted criminal Dawood Ibrahim is on FBI`s list of top terrorists in the world.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!