Death penalty against human rights charter: NHRC
New Delhi: As the clamour for death sentence for the culprits of the Delhi gang-rape grows stronger, the head of India`s rights panel Tuesday said death penalty in any case is against the universal declaration of human rights.
"Death penalty in any case is against universal declaration of human rights," National Human Rights Commission chairman KG Balakrishnan said on the sidelines of a consultation organised by NHRC on strengthening laws to tackle violence against women.
He, however, refused to make any direct comments on whether he was in favour or against death sentence in this particular case.
The universal declaration of human rights was adopted by the UN General Assembly in 1948, and advocates abolition of death penalty.
Talking about laws for protecting women, the NHRC chief said there were laws but implementation was a problem.
"Not just for the cases of violence against women, overall trials are slow and justice delayed because of lack of legal infrastructure," he said.
"Laws are there but implementation is the problem," he said.
A 23-year-old woman was brutally gang-raped in Delhi Dec 16. She later succumbed to her injuries in a Singapore hospital Dec 29. Six culprits have been arrested.
The victim became a symbol of resistance against violence against women, with wide-spread protests being witnessed in several Indian cities, mainly in Delhi against rape and other forms of violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?