Dec 16 gang-rape: File in HC for confirmation of death penalty
New Delhi: A fast-track court, which has sentenced four convicts in the December 16 gang-rape and murder case to death, has sent the case file to the Delhi High Court for confirmation of the capital punishment.
Court sources said the case record relating to the conviction and death sentence of Akshay Thakur, Vinay Sharma, Pawan Gupta and Mukesh has been referred to the high court.
It is mandatory for the trial court to refer a death penalty case to a high court for confirmation of sentence within 30 days of the pronouncement of the verdict.
Additional Sessions Judge Yogesh Khanna had held the four guilty on 13 counts including murder and gang-rape of the 23-year-old paramedical student.
They were given death sentence by a court here which said the "beastly" and "hair-raising" manner in which the crime was committed against the girl falls in the rarest of rare category.
Ram Singh (34), who was one of the prime accused, was found dead in his cell in Tihar Jail in March and proceedings against were abated.
The sixth accused, a juvenile, who was most brutal among them, was on August 31 convicted and sentenced to a maximum of three years in a reformation home.
On the night of December 16, last year, Ram Singh, Vinay, Akshay, Pawan, Mukesh and the juvenile had gang-raped the girl in a bus after luring her and her 28-year-old male friend, who was also assaulted, on board the vehicle, which was later found to be plying illegally on Delhi roads.
The girl succumbed to her injuries on December 29, 2012 in a Singapore hospital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video