Decide if elephant statues in UP are poll symbols: SC to EC
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday asked
the Election Commission to decide whether the installation of
statues of elephants at the cost of the state exchequer by the
Mayawati government in Lucknow and Noida amounts to the
installation of election symbol of the party.
A bench headed by Chief Justice K G Balakrishnan
granted three months to the Election Commission to decide the
The bench was hearing a PIL filed by two advocates
Ravi Kant and Sukumar, who have accused the UP government of
misusing public money for the installation of statues of the
Dalit leaders including Mayawati and party symbol, elephant at
various places in the state.
Kant had submitted before the bench that the
information gathered through an RTI disclosed that 60 statues
of elephants were being installed by Uttar Pradesh government
at a cost of Rs 52.20 crore at public places by utilising
The particular issue of election symbol was referred
to the Election Commission as the petitioners have also made a
representation before the Commission.
The PIL had sought a direction to restrain Mayawati
from installing her statues and those of elephants at public
places with public funds and demanded a CBI probe into the
misuse of state exchequer.
The advocate had claimed the total money used by
Mayawati from the state budget for 2008-09 and 2009-10 for
such projects was to the tune of Rs 2,000 crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing