Decision on Telangana soon: Shinde
New Delhi: As hectic parleys on Telangana continue, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde on Thursday said a decision "this way or that way" on the statehood demand will be taken soon.
"The (Congress) party is discussing the matter. I cannot disclose details. But a decision will be taken soon - either this way or that way," he told reporters here.
He was responding to a question on the possibility of any government announcement on the demand for Telangana before the Monsoon session of Parliament scheduled to begin on August 5.
"The decision will be taken by higher authority," he said.
Last week, Shinde had said that discussions on Telangana were held in the past and such consultations have been continuing even now.
According to reports, the Congress top brass is having consultations with different stakeholders and party leaders to take a final view on the vexed Telangana issue which has divided all the parties in Andhra Pradesh on regional lines.
Congress General Secretary Digvijay Singh, who is in-charge of the party affairs in the state, has already submitted his proposal in this regard to party President Sonia Gandhi as the UPA government weighs options on the demand for separate Telangana.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says