Decision on Telangana soon: Shinde
New Delhi: As hectic parleys on Telangana continue, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde on Thursday said a decision "this way or that way" on the statehood demand will be taken soon.
"The (Congress) party is discussing the matter. I cannot disclose details. But a decision will be taken soon - either this way or that way," he told reporters here.
He was responding to a question on the possibility of any government announcement on the demand for Telangana before the Monsoon session of Parliament scheduled to begin on August 5.
"The decision will be taken by higher authority," he said.
Last week, Shinde had said that discussions on Telangana were held in the past and such consultations have been continuing even now.
According to reports, the Congress top brass is having consultations with different stakeholders and party leaders to take a final view on the vexed Telangana issue which has divided all the parties in Andhra Pradesh on regional lines.
Congress General Secretary Digvijay Singh, who is in-charge of the party affairs in the state, has already submitted his proposal in this regard to party President Sonia Gandhi as the UPA government weighs options on the demand for separate Telangana.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown