Declare 2013 as year of women`s safety: CPI-M
Thiruvananthapuram: CPI(M) leader and Rajya Sabha member TN Seema Monday urged the Union government to declare 2013 as "Year of Women`s Safety" as a homage to the Delhi gang-rape victim, who braved the brutal assault and fought for life till her last breath.
In a statement here, Seema also urged every citizen of the country, especially women, to skip New Year celebrations to express solidarity with the family of the victim and to support the cause of the innumerable rape victims in the country.
"I make a strong request to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh that let the year 2013 be observed as the Year for Women`s Safety. We all should pledge to wear black clothes tomorrow as a mark of homage to the brave girl and protest against such happenings," she said.
Seema, also leader of CPI-M`s women wing AIDWA, appealed to women from all walks of life to gherao District Collectors, Superintendents of Police, Chief Ministers and Ministers across the country demanding immediate changes in the existing framework of law to prevent such happenings in future.
Stating that women`s safety could be ensured only through strong partnerships between civil society organisations, governments, urban authorities and law-enforcing agencies, she said political parties, corporates and media should essentially declare their gender policy.
New training standards for policemen should be evolved and the National Commission for Women should be professionalized to initiate strong action against culprits in the cases of violence against women, she said.
She also demanded immediate removal of inefficient and ineffective members from the women`s panel and asked the Commission to maintain a record about what happens to rape cases from prevention to investigation to conviction.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical