Deepa takes on Trinamool at Cong Plenary
New Delhi: Even as Congress chief Sonia Gandhi remained silent on the issue of alliances in the coming polls in party plenary on Sunday, two prominent Congress leaders from West Bengal and Tamil Nadu said the tie-up with Trinamool Congress and DMK should not be at the expense of the party.
Taking a cue from Gandhi`s statement that the voice of grassroot workers should be heard by the leaders, West Bengal MP Deepa Dasmunshi charged Trinamool Congress with talking against Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and government policies and "hitting the roads on issues like price rise", even though they are part of the UPA.
"When she (Trinamool chief Mamata Banerjee) inaugurates a project in West Bengal, there is no photograph of the Prime Minister or Sonia Gandhi. Only at times, Pranabda (Mukherjee) is invited. No courtesy is shown to them," she said.
"Even after the allies commit mistakes, we still carry them on our shoulders...We give them those seats which are safe and where Congress is strong," she said, adding "we do not want an alliance at the expense of the Congress party".
Demanding that Congress should retain those seats, including where it has sitting MLAs, Dasmunshi said, "though we need a strong alliance to fight the Left Front in West Bengal, we should not have a tie-up in which there is no faith or confidence."
In a similar vein, Manicka Tagore, MP from Tamil Nadu, referred to upcoming elections in West Bengal, Tamil Nadu and other states and said "the self-respect of Congress and its activists is more important" in order to achieve the dream of `Kamraj rule` in Tamil Nadu.
In the draft political resolution, the party said the necessity of coalition politics at the central level "does not prevent our state level workers from hoping and dreaming of a larger political space wherever they may be, and we, as a party, must be cognisant and supportive of their aspirations."
In her speech, Dasmunshi also made an emotional appeal for the health of her husband and former Minister Priya Ranjan Dasmunshi, who, she said, had not made much progress since he was afflicted by illness two years ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared