Defence Minister Arun Jaitley arrives in J&K to review security situation
Zee Media Bureau
Srinagar: Defence Minister Arun Jaitley arrived here on Saturday to review the security situation in Jammu and Kashmir along with top Army commanders. Jaitley will be in the state for two days.
In his first visit to the state after taking over as Defence Minister, he is also expected to discuss the possibilities and ways of ensuring the safe return of Kashmiri Pandits to the Kashmir valley.
He will be briefed about the militancy situation in the state by the Northern Army Commander and the three Corps Commanders under him looking after the security of the international borders, the Line of Actual Control (LAC) with China and the Line of Control (LoC) with Pakistan, Defence Ministry officials said.
Army Chief Gen Bikram Singh will be present on the occasion and he is likely to be accompanied by Army Chief-designate Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag during the briefings, they said.
Jaitley may also hold meetings with Chief Minister Omar Abdullah and the Governor.
The Kashmir valley has not witnessed any major incident of violence in the recent past but the Army terms the situation as "absence of violence" and is taking all possible steps to curb infiltration and violence there.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt