Defence Minister Arun Jaitley arrives in J&K to review security situation
Zee Media Bureau
Srinagar: Defence Minister Arun Jaitley arrived here on Saturday to review the security situation in Jammu and Kashmir along with top Army commanders. Jaitley will be in the state for two days.
In his first visit to the state after taking over as Defence Minister, he is also expected to discuss the possibilities and ways of ensuring the safe return of Kashmiri Pandits to the Kashmir valley.
He will be briefed about the militancy situation in the state by the Northern Army Commander and the three Corps Commanders under him looking after the security of the international borders, the Line of Actual Control (LAC) with China and the Line of Control (LoC) with Pakistan, Defence Ministry officials said.
Army Chief Gen Bikram Singh will be present on the occasion and he is likely to be accompanied by Army Chief-designate Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag during the briefings, they said.
Jaitley may also hold meetings with Chief Minister Omar Abdullah and the Governor.
The Kashmir valley has not witnessed any major incident of violence in the recent past but the Army terms the situation as "absence of violence" and is taking all possible steps to curb infiltration and violence there.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional