Delhi Cabinet, MHA review security situation
New Delhi: Facing flak in view of the Delhi gang-rape case, Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Wednesday morning chaired a meeting of her Cabinet at her residence here.
The meeting decided to call a one-day special session of the Delhi Legislative Assembly to discuss the law and order situation in the national capital.
The Delhi CM has also summoned Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar to discuss the situation with him.
Separately, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde also summoned Delhi Police officials after he received a strongly-worded letter from Congress president Sonia Gandhi.
The Congress chief has demanded more safety for women.
In her letter to Shinde, Gandhi described the gang-rape of a medical student in a moving bus in Delhi as a "shame for all of us who are responsible for security of our cities". The minister was asked to "sensitise police to the danger our daughters, sisters, mothers face every day."
Security agencies must be motivated and equipped to "deal with this menace", she stressed in the letter.
Gandhi also visited Safdarjang Hospital yesterday where the victim is battling for her life.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city