Delhi Cabinet, MHA review security situation
New Delhi: Facing flak in view of the Delhi gang-rape case, Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Wednesday morning chaired a meeting of her Cabinet at her residence here.
The meeting decided to call a one-day special session of the Delhi Legislative Assembly to discuss the law and order situation in the national capital.
The Delhi CM has also summoned Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar to discuss the situation with him.
Separately, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde also summoned Delhi Police officials after he received a strongly-worded letter from Congress president Sonia Gandhi.
The Congress chief has demanded more safety for women.
In her letter to Shinde, Gandhi described the gang-rape of a medical student in a moving bus in Delhi as a "shame for all of us who are responsible for security of our cities". The minister was asked to "sensitise police to the danger our daughters, sisters, mothers face every day."
Security agencies must be motivated and equipped to "deal with this menace", she stressed in the letter.
Gandhi also visited Safdarjang Hospital yesterday where the victim is battling for her life.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29