Delhi gang-rape: Meira Kumar cancels visit to South Africa, Namibia
New Delhi: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar has called off the proposed visit of an Indian Parliamentary Delegation to South Africa and a visit to Namibia to attend the Standing Committee Meeting of the Commonwealth Speakers and Presiding Officers Conference in wake of the recent developments following the sad demise of the brave young girl who was victim to a most heinous crime in a moving bus in South Delhi and the public outcry following the incident.
It may be recalled that on the directions of Meira Kumar, a ``Sarva Dharm Prarthana Sabha``, was organised by the Lok Sabha Secretariat on December 31, 2012 to mourn the passing away of the young girl.
Scriptures were read out and prayers were offered by representatives of various religious faiths at the meeting, which was attended by Meira Kumar and the Lok Sabha Secretariat staff.
The traditional New Year get-together of officers and staff of the Lok Sabha Secretariat in which the Lok Sabha Speaker was the chief guest was also cancelled on the directions of Meira Kumar as a mark of respect to the memory of the young girl.
A 23-year-old medical student was brutally raped and assaulted in a moving bus on the night of December 16, 2012. She died of her injuries on December 29, 2012 in the multi-specialty Mount Elizabeth Hospital in Singapore.
Her male friend, who was accompanying her that day, was also assaulted by the accused and both of them were thrown out of the bus.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray