Demand for reservation for backward sections in promotion
New Delhi: An OBC leader in Congress has demanded that the backward sections should also be included in the proposal for reservation in promotion for Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe which was cleared by the Union Cabinet on Tuesday.
Congress MP in Rajya Sabha V Hanumantha Rao, a prominent OBC leader from Andhra Pradesh, said there is a sizable backward class in the country and it should be given reservation in promotion as is proposed to be done for the SCs and STs.
"We should also get justice. A delegation of OBC leaders will meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi and Congress General Secretary Rahul Gandhi to plead our case," Rao said outside Parliament House.
He has convened a meeting of OBC leaders tomorrow to discuss the issue. Rao plans to raise this issue more prominently in the coming days.
Samajwadi Party Chief Mulayam Singh Yadav, also an OBC leader, had demanded in the all-party meeting chaired by the Prime Minister on August 21 that backward classes should also be given reservation in promotions.
Meanwhile, BJP leader M Venkaiah Naidu said there are differences within the ruling alliance on the issue and Congress should sort them out before talking about reservations in promotions.
D Raja (CPI) said his party welcomes the Cabinet decision on the issue and it is a good step. "Government had given a commitment to bring a Bill on reservation in promotions and most parties are in agreement with the proposal," he said.
Asked about SP`s opposition to the proposal, Raja said they can oppose if they want to. He said SP`s stand will not come in the way of their agitation on the coal allocation issue in which SP, Left parties and TDP have joined hands.
"If SP wants concessions for OBC they can do so but they should not mix it with quota for SCs and STs," Raja said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?
- IRS website hacked by suspected Pakistani hackers, messages like 'Pakistan Zindabad' posted