Demand for reservation for backward sections in promotion
New Delhi: An OBC leader in Congress has demanded that the backward sections should also be included in the proposal for reservation in promotion for Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe which was cleared by the Union Cabinet on Tuesday.
Congress MP in Rajya Sabha V Hanumantha Rao, a prominent OBC leader from Andhra Pradesh, said there is a sizable backward class in the country and it should be given reservation in promotion as is proposed to be done for the SCs and STs.
"We should also get justice. A delegation of OBC leaders will meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi and Congress General Secretary Rahul Gandhi to plead our case," Rao said outside Parliament House.
He has convened a meeting of OBC leaders tomorrow to discuss the issue. Rao plans to raise this issue more prominently in the coming days.
Samajwadi Party Chief Mulayam Singh Yadav, also an OBC leader, had demanded in the all-party meeting chaired by the Prime Minister on August 21 that backward classes should also be given reservation in promotions.
Meanwhile, BJP leader M Venkaiah Naidu said there are differences within the ruling alliance on the issue and Congress should sort them out before talking about reservations in promotions.
D Raja (CPI) said his party welcomes the Cabinet decision on the issue and it is a good step. "Government had given a commitment to bring a Bill on reservation in promotions and most parties are in agreement with the proposal," he said.
Asked about SP`s opposition to the proposal, Raja said they can oppose if they want to. He said SP`s stand will not come in the way of their agitation on the coal allocation issue in which SP, Left parties and TDP have joined hands.
"If SP wants concessions for OBC they can do so but they should not mix it with quota for SCs and STs," Raja said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...