Demand for reservation for backward sections in promotion
New Delhi: An OBC leader in Congress has demanded that the backward sections should also be included in the proposal for reservation in promotion for Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe which was cleared by the Union Cabinet on Tuesday.
Congress MP in Rajya Sabha V Hanumantha Rao, a prominent OBC leader from Andhra Pradesh, said there is a sizable backward class in the country and it should be given reservation in promotion as is proposed to be done for the SCs and STs.
"We should also get justice. A delegation of OBC leaders will meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi and Congress General Secretary Rahul Gandhi to plead our case," Rao said outside Parliament House.
He has convened a meeting of OBC leaders tomorrow to discuss the issue. Rao plans to raise this issue more prominently in the coming days.
Samajwadi Party Chief Mulayam Singh Yadav, also an OBC leader, had demanded in the all-party meeting chaired by the Prime Minister on August 21 that backward classes should also be given reservation in promotions.
Meanwhile, BJP leader M Venkaiah Naidu said there are differences within the ruling alliance on the issue and Congress should sort them out before talking about reservations in promotions.
D Raja (CPI) said his party welcomes the Cabinet decision on the issue and it is a good step. "Government had given a commitment to bring a Bill on reservation in promotions and most parties are in agreement with the proposal," he said.
Asked about SP`s opposition to the proposal, Raja said they can oppose if they want to. He said SP`s stand will not come in the way of their agitation on the coal allocation issue in which SP, Left parties and TDP have joined hands.
"If SP wants concessions for OBC they can do so but they should not mix it with quota for SCs and STs," Raja said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- FSSAI testing more Maggi; brand ambassadors can be liable: Govt
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi