Detained UAE plane refused customs men to enter aircraft
Kolkata: The crew of the China-bound cargo
plane of the UAE Air Force, which was detained here after
being found carrying a large cache of arms and ammunition, had
first refused customs authorities from entering the aircraft
and conducting manual inspection.
"The crew at first had stopped the Customs team from
entering the aircraft for manual inspection. It was then
communicated that as per the country`s law, the customs
authorities had to check any aircraft which lands in the
country," official sources said today.
Reluctantly, the crew later allowed inspection which led
to the discovery of "large" cache of arms and ammunition, they
The C-130 plane was on its way to Hanyang in China from
Abu Dhabi and had landed at the NSC Bose International airport
to refuel around 5.30 PM yesterday.
The 10 crew members were taken to a nearby hotel and
questioned by the customs officials who along with immigration
officials found the plane carrying "arms and ammunition"
during a routine check, Wg Cdr Mahesh Upasani, Eastern Air
Command spokesman said.
The crew members did not inform in the routine
declaration submitted to authorities that arms and ammunition
were in the plane, which, however, had the required civil and
military clearance for transit through Kolkata, Upasani said.
The particular column in the proforma was left blank, he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Give up terrorism and let’s talk', Sushma Swaraj's reply to Nawaz Sharif at UNGA
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Watch: Unbelievable! Kapil Sharma thrown out of Aishwarya Rai’s vanity van
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa – Players to watch out for
- Know who replaced Katrina Kaif in film opposite Jackie Chan
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry