Detained UAE plane refused customs men to enter aircraft
Kolkata: The crew of the China-bound cargo
plane of the UAE Air Force, which was detained here after
being found carrying a large cache of arms and ammunition, had
first refused customs authorities from entering the aircraft
and conducting manual inspection.
"The crew at first had stopped the Customs team from
entering the aircraft for manual inspection. It was then
communicated that as per the country`s law, the customs
authorities had to check any aircraft which lands in the
country," official sources said today.
Reluctantly, the crew later allowed inspection which led
to the discovery of "large" cache of arms and ammunition, they
The C-130 plane was on its way to Hanyang in China from
Abu Dhabi and had landed at the NSC Bose International airport
to refuel around 5.30 PM yesterday.
The 10 crew members were taken to a nearby hotel and
questioned by the customs officials who along with immigration
officials found the plane carrying "arms and ammunition"
during a routine check, Wg Cdr Mahesh Upasani, Eastern Air
Command spokesman said.
The crew members did not inform in the routine
declaration submitted to authorities that arms and ammunition
were in the plane, which, however, had the required civil and
military clearance for transit through Kolkata, Upasani said.
The particular column in the proforma was left blank, he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'