Dhaka, Delhi get moving on power grid connectivity
Dhaka: The Bangladesh government will invite tenders this month for installation of a transmission line that will be connected to the power grid of India to facilitate the purchase of 250 MW of electricity.
Tenders worth Taka 1.1 billion (USD 15.9 million) will be floated, officials said. Two-day talks were being held on inter-connection of power grids with an Indian delegation led by Power Secretary H.S. Brahma.
"We have already prepared tender documents for installation of the transmission line. We will invite tenders by the end of this month after discussion with Indian officials," said Bangladesh Power Secretary Mohammed Kalam Azad.
The Indian delegation and Bangladeshi officials Friday discussed details of Indian investment in Bangladesh`s power sector, technological support and human resources development.
This is a follow-up of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed during Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina`s visit to India last month.
Energy-starved Bangladesh will install a 45-km transmission line and the necessary power supply systems in its territory within two years while India will install a 75-km transmission line.
The initial capacity of the transmission line will be around 500 MW, which will be upgraded to 1,000 MW in the future, although Bangladesh and India signed a MoU for supply of only 250 MW last month.
"The capacity of the transmission will be increased as we plan to import more electricity from India in the next phase," said Azad.
The Power Development Board (PDB) is likely to sign a memorandum of understanding with NTPC to carry out a feasibility study for installation of two 1,300 MW coal-based power plants in the country, New Age newspaper reported Friday.
The NTPC recently submitted a proposal to the PDB for carrying out a feasibility study for installation of two coal-fired plants in Chittagong and Mongla with a total capacity of generating 2,600 MW of electricity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part IV
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat'
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat' Part II
- MUST WATCH VIDEO: 84* off 18 balls - You wont believe who is batting....
- Brace yourself, Eid is coming! New still from Salman Khan's 'Sultan' will gear you up for trailer launch
- 'India's net FDI flows to hit USD 38 billion this fiscal'
- Did you know Avika Gor also took Cannes Film Festival by storm this year! - Pics inside
- Vijay Mallya's India woes now troubling his US beer firm