Dhaka, Delhi get moving on power grid connectivity
Dhaka: The Bangladesh government will invite tenders this month for installation of a transmission line that will be connected to the power grid of India to facilitate the purchase of 250 MW of electricity.
Tenders worth Taka 1.1 billion (USD 15.9 million) will be floated, officials said. Two-day talks were being held on inter-connection of power grids with an Indian delegation led by Power Secretary H.S. Brahma.
"We have already prepared tender documents for installation of the transmission line. We will invite tenders by the end of this month after discussion with Indian officials," said Bangladesh Power Secretary Mohammed Kalam Azad.
The Indian delegation and Bangladeshi officials Friday discussed details of Indian investment in Bangladesh`s power sector, technological support and human resources development.
This is a follow-up of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed during Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina`s visit to India last month.
Energy-starved Bangladesh will install a 45-km transmission line and the necessary power supply systems in its territory within two years while India will install a 75-km transmission line.
The initial capacity of the transmission line will be around 500 MW, which will be upgraded to 1,000 MW in the future, although Bangladesh and India signed a MoU for supply of only 250 MW last month.
"The capacity of the transmission will be increased as we plan to import more electricity from India in the next phase," said Azad.
The Power Development Board (PDB) is likely to sign a memorandum of understanding with NTPC to carry out a feasibility study for installation of two 1,300 MW coal-based power plants in the country, New Age newspaper reported Friday.
The NTPC recently submitted a proposal to the PDB for carrying out a feasibility study for installation of two coal-fired plants in Chittagong and Mongla with a total capacity of generating 2,600 MW of electricity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon