Dhaka, Delhi get moving on power grid connectivity
Dhaka: The Bangladesh government will invite tenders this month for installation of a transmission line that will be connected to the power grid of India to facilitate the purchase of 250 MW of electricity.
Tenders worth Taka 1.1 billion (USD 15.9 million) will be floated, officials said. Two-day talks were being held on inter-connection of power grids with an Indian delegation led by Power Secretary H.S. Brahma.
"We have already prepared tender documents for installation of the transmission line. We will invite tenders by the end of this month after discussion with Indian officials," said Bangladesh Power Secretary Mohammed Kalam Azad.
The Indian delegation and Bangladeshi officials Friday discussed details of Indian investment in Bangladesh`s power sector, technological support and human resources development.
This is a follow-up of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed during Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina`s visit to India last month.
Energy-starved Bangladesh will install a 45-km transmission line and the necessary power supply systems in its territory within two years while India will install a 75-km transmission line.
The initial capacity of the transmission line will be around 500 MW, which will be upgraded to 1,000 MW in the future, although Bangladesh and India signed a MoU for supply of only 250 MW last month.
"The capacity of the transmission will be increased as we plan to import more electricity from India in the next phase," said Azad.
The Power Development Board (PDB) is likely to sign a memorandum of understanding with NTPC to carry out a feasibility study for installation of two 1,300 MW coal-based power plants in the country, New Age newspaper reported Friday.
The NTPC recently submitted a proposal to the PDB for carrying out a feasibility study for installation of two coal-fired plants in Chittagong and Mongla with a total capacity of generating 2,600 MW of electricity.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case