Did Bharara`s office goof up in Devyani Khobragade case?
New York: Did the office of Manhattan`s India-born prosecutor Preet Bharara goof up in the paperwork for the arrest of Indian diplomat Devyani Khobragade to spark a major India-US diplomatic row?
Khobragade`s lawyer Daniel Arschack claims so, suggesting that India`s then deputy consul general in New York was only arrested because a federal agent "erroneously and disastrously" misread a visa application form for her housekeeper and babysitter.
The US federal agent in the case "simply made an error in reading the form which supported the visa application for the domestic worker", Arschack was quoted as saying by New York Daily News.
Arshack, according to the daily, believes the agent mistakenly thought the $4,500 a month salary entered on the form was what Khobragade intended to pay her nanny Sangeeta Richard.
It was instead the base salary expected by Khobragade at her job, and included in the form to show the employer made enough money to pay her employee, he said.
Khobragade, 39, who was strip-searched and freed on $250,000 bail after her Dec 12 arrest has pleaded not guilty in the Manhattan Federal Court to charges of visa fraud and making false statements on Richard`s visa application.
India has transferred the diplomat to its Permanent Mission at the UN in a bid to get her fuller "diplomatic immunity" as opposed to "consular immunity" limited to her official work.
UN has already registered Khobragade as a member of the Indian mission, but needs State Department approval for her transfer from the Indian consulate in New York to her new job as counsellor at the UN mission.
Prosecutors charged Khobragade with lying in the visa application by declaring that Richard, 42, would receive $10-an-hour, but paid her only $3.31 an hour.
Arshack said his client intended to pay the housekeeper the minimum New York wage of $9.75 an hour.
A spokesman for the US attorney had no comment on Arshack`s interpretation of the paperwork, the Daily News said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`