DMK MP faints in RS while raising Sri Lankan Tamil issue
New Delhi: DMK member Vasanthi Stanley on Wednesday fainted in the Rajya Sabha while strongly raising the Sri Lankan Tamil issue, leading to a chaotic situation in the House.
Stanley was shouting full-throated slogans in the Well during Zero Hour seeking justice to Tamils in Sri Lanka as her colleagues as well members from arch rival AIADMK waved photographs of slain LTTE chief Prabhakaran`s son killed by Sri Lankan forces.
Renuka Chowdhary, who was in the Chair, immediately adjourned the House till 2 PM and called in doctors to attend to Stanley, who lay unconscious on the floor.
The DMK member was immediately rushed to Safdarjung Hospital after two doctors attended to her in the House. A stretcher as well as a wheel chair was also brought in but Stanley preferred to walk with support of members including party leader in the House Tiruchi Siva.
Members from the ruling party including Ambika Soni, D Purandeshwari, Rajeev Shukla as well as those from AIADMK and other parties rushed to help the sick member.
Earlier, the House was adjourned till noon over the issue of Sri Lankan Tamils and Union Minister Beni Prasad Verma`s remarks against SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav.
As the House re-assembled, members from DMK and AIADMK trooped into the Well shouting slogans protesting atrocities on Tamils in Sri Lanka and the killing of Prabhakaran`s son.
All the while, SP members led by Naresh Agarwal sought Verma`s dismissal.
In the meantime, Stanley fell unconscious triggering a chaotic situation.
After adjourning the House, Chowdhary left her seat and went to the Well to ask Stanley as to how she was feeling. "Did you have your breakfast, madam?" she asked.
Chowdhary then asked members to leave and make way for Stanley while asking for doctors to attend to her. Stanley rested in a seat for a while before being taken to hospital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok