DNA test confirms ND Tiwari as Rohit Shekhar’s biological father
New Delhi: In a huge embarrassment to veteran Congress leader ND Tiwari, the Delhi High Court on Friday made public the results of the DNA tests conducted on him, which confirmed that he is the biological father of Rohit Shekhar who had filed a paternity suit against him.
The court had earlier rejected Tiwari`s appeal to hold a trial in the paternity case and reveal results of his DNA tests only after it concludes.
The matching of Tiwari`s DNA samples with that of Rohit Shekhar and his mother Ujjawala Sharma has finally ended the paternity row involving the Congress leader.
The development is a big relief to Rohit Shekhar, who has fought a long legal battle with his biological father Tiwari to restore his mother’s honour and to be acknowledged as the Congress leader’s son.
Reacting to the court’s order Rohit’s mother Ujjawala Sharma said, “I am happy with today’s development. We will accept whatever the court decides for us. Today’s decision has restored our faith in the country’s judicial system.”
When asked by the reporters to react, Rohit Shekhar said, “I am neither happy nor sad. I will take what is rightfully mine.”
Meanwhile, Tiwari urged media and people to respect his privacy.
“I have every right to live my life my way. No one has the right to look into my private life. Please respect my privacy,” he said.
The Congress leader has also approached the Supreme Court for a clarification on the matter.
The Delhi High Court had last week rejected Tiwari`s plea seeking fresh trial and in-camera proceedings in the paternity case. The court said it will reveal the DNA test results on Friday.
87-year-old Tiwari, had given blood sample for the DNA test on May 29 at his residence in Dehradun following a Supreme Court order in the case.
Hyderabad-based Centre For DNA Finger Prints and Diagnostic has recently submitted in sealed cover the DNA reports of Tiwari, Rohit and his mother Ujjawala Sharma before the Delhi High Court.
The High Court, in its April 27 order, had ordered Tiwari to undergo the DNA test in the paternity suit and had also imposed a fine of Rs 25,000 on the veteran leader.
Rohit Shekhar, 32, had in 2008 filed the suit claiming to be the biological son of Tiwari, 87.
With PTI Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India