DNA test confirms ND Tiwari as Rohit Shekhar’s biological father
New Delhi: In a huge embarrassment to veteran Congress leader ND Tiwari, the Delhi High Court on Friday made public the results of the DNA tests conducted on him, which confirmed that he is the biological father of Rohit Shekhar who had filed a paternity suit against him.
The court had earlier rejected Tiwari`s appeal to hold a trial in the paternity case and reveal results of his DNA tests only after it concludes.
The matching of Tiwari`s DNA samples with that of Rohit Shekhar and his mother Ujjawala Sharma has finally ended the paternity row involving the Congress leader.
The development is a big relief to Rohit Shekhar, who has fought a long legal battle with his biological father Tiwari to restore his mother’s honour and to be acknowledged as the Congress leader’s son.
Reacting to the court’s order Rohit’s mother Ujjawala Sharma said, “I am happy with today’s development. We will accept whatever the court decides for us. Today’s decision has restored our faith in the country’s judicial system.”
When asked by the reporters to react, Rohit Shekhar said, “I am neither happy nor sad. I will take what is rightfully mine.”
Meanwhile, Tiwari urged media and people to respect his privacy.
“I have every right to live my life my way. No one has the right to look into my private life. Please respect my privacy,” he said.
The Congress leader has also approached the Supreme Court for a clarification on the matter.
The Delhi High Court had last week rejected Tiwari`s plea seeking fresh trial and in-camera proceedings in the paternity case. The court said it will reveal the DNA test results on Friday.
87-year-old Tiwari, had given blood sample for the DNA test on May 29 at his residence in Dehradun following a Supreme Court order in the case.
Hyderabad-based Centre For DNA Finger Prints and Diagnostic has recently submitted in sealed cover the DNA reports of Tiwari, Rohit and his mother Ujjawala Sharma before the Delhi High Court.
The High Court, in its April 27 order, had ordered Tiwari to undergo the DNA test in the paternity suit and had also imposed a fine of Rs 25,000 on the veteran leader.
Rohit Shekhar, 32, had in 2008 filed the suit claiming to be the biological son of Tiwari, 87.
With PTI Inputs
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!