Drastic changes needed in judicial system: HC Judge
Ahmednagar: Special law has been enacted to decide the cases filed by the foreign investors within one year, but for the common citizens the judiciary works according to the pattern set by the British, a Bombay High Court Judge has said.
This has led to large pendency of cases, which drag on for years. Therefore, there was a need to bring changes in the judicial system to clear the backlog, Justice Sambhajirao Mhase said here yesterday.
He was speaking after inaugurating the first `gram nyalaya` (village court) at Ralegan Siddhi village in Ahmednagar district in Western Maharashtra.
Justice AM Kanvilkar and veteran social worker Anna Hazare were prominent among those present on the occasion.
Judiciary which doesn`t render justice within one`s lifetime is useless. Since cases are piling up, it has become imperative to bring about drastic changes, said Mhase.
Hazare stressed the need to decentralise judicial and legal powers to realise Mahatma Gandhi`s dream of a strong and powerful India. "Right to Information is one step in that direction. Decentralisation of power is also required."
The Centre has decided to hold hearings at the village level to reduce the pendency at the courts and also save time money of the litigants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145