Drastic changes needed in judicial system: HC Judge
Ahmednagar: Special law has been enacted to decide the cases filed by the foreign investors within one year, but for the common citizens the judiciary works according to the pattern set by the British, a Bombay High Court Judge has said.
This has led to large pendency of cases, which drag on for years. Therefore, there was a need to bring changes in the judicial system to clear the backlog, Justice Sambhajirao Mhase said here yesterday.
He was speaking after inaugurating the first `gram nyalaya` (village court) at Ralegan Siddhi village in Ahmednagar district in Western Maharashtra.
Justice AM Kanvilkar and veteran social worker Anna Hazare were prominent among those present on the occasion.
Judiciary which doesn`t render justice within one`s lifetime is useless. Since cases are piling up, it has become imperative to bring about drastic changes, said Mhase.
Hazare stressed the need to decentralise judicial and legal powers to realise Mahatma Gandhi`s dream of a strong and powerful India. "Right to Information is one step in that direction. Decentralisation of power is also required."
The Centre has decided to hold hearings at the village level to reduce the pendency at the courts and also save time money of the litigants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part III
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part IV
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part V
- Jibe at Subramanian Swamy? Arun Jaitley says he disapproves of personal attack on Raghuram Rajan
- IPL 2016 Final: Tickets sold out in 2 hours
- Two years of Modi govt: Hope has replaced hopelessness under NDA rule, says PM
- Assam Board SEBA Class 10th Examination Results 2016: SEBA HSLC Results 2016, Assam HSLC Result 2016 to be declared on May 31
- BJP's Assam MLA Angoorlata Deka's viral 'picture': You will be SHOCKED to know the truth!