DRDO may take up disposal of Carbide waste in Bhopal
Bhopal: Union Minister for Environment and Forests, Jairam Ramesh on Wednesday said here that Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) was interested in taking up the task of clearing of the 350 tonnes of toxic waste from the Union Carbide Factory premises here.
"The DRDO has shown interest to clear 350 tonnes of waste lying in the Union Carbide Factory, with (ensuring) no harm to the environment," Ramesh told reporters after chairing the meeting of Oversight Committee on Bhopal Environmental Remediation here.
"I am going to write a letter to the Defence Minister AK Antony tomorrow," he said, adding that he would also meet Antony in this regard.
However, Ramesh said, even the DRDO would need two years to dispose of the waste from the Carbide factory, the site of the catastrophic gas leak of 1984.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intermediate Examination (Arts) Result 2016 will be declared today on 29th May 2016 at 2:00 pm
- Class 10th (Matric) Exam Result 2016 will be declared today on 29th May 2016 at 12: 00 pm
- Putin vows Russian retaliation over US missile shield in Europe
- More than 2,000 boat migrants rescued off Italy, 45 dead
- Trump rules out US presidential debate with Sanders