Duped Indian women in Albania rescued: Officials
Panaji: Eight from Goa were duped
in Albania and forced to live in precarious conditions before
they were rescued by the Indian government, an official said
NRI Commissioner Eduardo Faleiro said that a Goa-based
agent conned the women, who were part of a group of 20, from
India, who were sent to Albania to work in a bag manufacturing
"All 20 women were sent to Albania by a Goa-based
agent and we will act against him, once we receive complaint
from the victims," the NRI Commissioner said appealing the
women to lodge a complaint.
He said that the agent `cheated` the women by assuring
them to pay 20 US dollars per day but were actually paid 2 US
"They were dumped in a dark room without food for days
together when they protested against the lower pay scale,"
"We don`t have an embassy in Albania so I contacted
Secretary and Joint secretary in charge of Central Europe in
our Ministry of External affairs," said Faleiro, former Union
minister of state for external affairs.
He said 17 women were repatriated to India so far by
the Union government while remaining three preferred to stay
back in Albania.
Faleiro expressed concern over growing instances of
fraud by some unscrupulous recruiting agents saying the NRI
commissionerate has decided to put in place a committee that
would oversee such cases.
These agents are not booked with Protector General of
Immigrants and many a times, travel agents double up as
recruitment agents, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India