Duronto to do away with AC Economy class
New Delhi: The non-stop Duronto trains will
no longer have old coaches with side-middle berth, known as AC
The Nagpur-Mumbai Duronto express and the
Bhubaneswar-Delhi Duronto scheduled to be launched shortly
will not have any AC economy class coach. They will have only
AC and non-AC coaches.
AC economy class fare is Rs 50 less than the AC III
"Now onwards, all new Duronto trains will be without AC
economy class as we have decided to discontinue it. As per our
feedback, it seems to be causing inconvenience to passengers,"
sources in railways said.
Initially, there was also no plan for AC economy class in
"Since new coaches could not be ready for the early
launch of Duronto trains, these old coaches with middle side
berths were made available to meet the deadline," the sources
However, the existing AC economy class coaches in some
Duronto trains like Sealdah-New Delhi, Mumbai-Howrah and
Pune-Nizamuddin Duronto trains will continue for some time
before they are being phased out.
The Nagpur-Mumbai Duronto coaches are ready for roll out
with its inaugural run scheduled for early next month.
All coaches of the Nagpur Duronto are being dispatched to
Nagpur for the launching ceremony, while Bhunaneswar Duronto
coaches are being readied, the sources said.
Barring a few hitches like middle-side berth coaches, the
Duronto trains have become very popular since its launch more
than a month ago.
Railways have announced to introduce 12 Duronto trains
out of which four are being launched.
Railways are also increasing the capacity of pantry cars
in Duronto trains.
"Since we have to provide meals to about 1000 passengers
per trip in this non-stop superfast train, the capacity of
pantry cars is required to be enhanced," said a senior IRCTC
official involved with the catering service in Duronto trains.
"We are requisitioning new design high-capacity pantry
cars because the old pantry cars have less capacity for
boilers, hot cases, freezers and deep freezers which are
creating problem to cater to the growing demand for fresh and
hot food," the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'