EC for disqualification of candidates charged by court
Chandigarh: The Election Commission favours
disqualification of a candidate against whom a court has
framed charges in any "serious offence" whose sentence was
likely to be a prison term of five years and above.
"Our suggestion is that a candidate should be
disqualified if a court has framed charges against him/her in
any serious offence, whose prison term was likely to be five
years or above. But our proposal is pending," Election
Commissioner of India, Dr S Y Qureishi told reporters here
Qureishi made the remark when asked on criminalisation of
politics, which he admitted was a "major issue".
Batting for electoral reforms, he said there were several
proposals from the EC which were pending before the
He informed that the EC had sought delegation of powers
regarding fixing of security deposits of candidates to fight
Earlier, Qureishi presided over a meeting of all Deputy
Commissioners cum District Election Officers from Haryana,
where state assembly polls are due for early next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley