EC to deploy special observers for first time
New Delhi: The Election Commission will for the first time deploy special observers to oversee the management of the electoral process at the field level for the Lok Sabha polls.
The central awareness observers will oversee the efficient and effective management of the electoral process at the field level, mainly in respect of voter awareness and facilitation, Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) VS Sampath said at a press conference here held to announce the poll dates Wednesday.
"Awareness observers will be deployed in two phases of seven days each and shall observe the intervention undertaken by the election machinery to bridge the gap in people`s participation in the electoral process particularly with regard to voter turnout," he said.
The observers will also monitor the various media related aspects and the mechanism at district levels on checking the problem of paid news.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore