EC to deploy special observers for first time
New Delhi: The Election Commission will for the first time deploy special observers to oversee the management of the electoral process at the field level for the Lok Sabha polls.
The central awareness observers will oversee the efficient and effective management of the electoral process at the field level, mainly in respect of voter awareness and facilitation, Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) VS Sampath said at a press conference here held to announce the poll dates Wednesday.
"Awareness observers will be deployed in two phases of seven days each and shall observe the intervention undertaken by the election machinery to bridge the gap in people`s participation in the electoral process particularly with regard to voter turnout," he said.
The observers will also monitor the various media related aspects and the mechanism at district levels on checking the problem of paid news.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Acute Zika infection may damage sensory nerves
- Day after being sacked as AAP's Punjab convener, Sucha Singh Chhotepur calls for CBI probe
- Coal scam: Ex-Coal Secy says, don't want advocate whose fee I cannot pay; will face trial from jail
- Japan PM pledges to invest $ 30 billion in Africa by 2018
- Kedar Jadhav, Shreyas Iyer power India A to easy six-wicket win