ED has crucial role in nailing money launderers: CJI
New Delhi: Chief Justice of India P Sathasivam today said people who were involved in money laundering were influential and enforcement and prosecution agencies had a crucial role in nailing them.
Sathasivam was speaking at the inauguration of a training programme for the Law officers of the Enforcement Directorate (ED) at the Indian Law Institute here.
The ED is responsible for the enforcement of the two financially-oriented laws ? Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) and Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA).
"The money laundering law is still in its infancy and the persons involved in (the crime) are quite influential and thus the ED law officers have an important role in advising the agency in enforcement of fiscal laws," said a statement after the event quoting the Chief Justice.
"The Chief Justice further stressed upon the legal and pragmatic approach of law officers while giving legal opinion and advising the ED... Therefore, the duty imposed on law officers of ED is vital and such training would facilitate their understanding of the technicalities of law," Sathasivam said.
Chairman of the Law Commission of India, Justice DK Jain, Chairman of the Appellate Tribunal (PMLA), Justice Anil Kumar, and ED Director Rajan Katoch, who were all present at the event, also stressed on the need for such training for law officers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA