ED team completes questioning of Pondy Lt Governor
Puducherry: An Enforcement Directorate
team on Tuesday completed the questioning of Puducherry Lt Governor
Iqbal Singh over his recommendation for expeditious issuance
of passport to suspected money launderer Hasan Ali Khan.
Singh was questioned for two hours today, Raj Nivas
The ED team from Mumbai had grilled Singh for five
hours yesterday, with the entire proceedings being reportedly
Raj Nivas sources were tight-lipped on whether the
questioning, which concluded at 12.30 pm, was video-graphed.
"None of us had any access to the venue where
questioning was done," the sources said.
Singh is in the eye of a storm for his action as a
Congress Rajya Sabha member in 1997 in recommending
expeditious issuance of passport to Khan, a Pune-based stud
Singh admitted that he did make such a recommendation
on humanitarian grounds as he was told that Khan needed to
travel abroad to visit his ailing brother. He however claimed
he did not know Khan.
The Lt Governor`s name surfaced during questioning of
Bihar-based Congress leader Amlendu Pandey.
The ED action followed clearance from the Prime
Minister`s Office last week to record Singh`s statement on the
Singh is also embroiled in another controversy, facing
charges that a trust in which his two sons were former members
had been given in-principle clearance by the administration to
set up a medical college without following due procedures.
Opposition parties have called for a bandh tomorrow
seeking recall of Singh, who has however received support from
Chief Minister V Vaithilingam.
The Chief Minister said "there is no necessity" for
Singh to step down as he was facing only allegations and the
ED would do "necessary statutory follow up."
District authorities have clamped prohibitory orders
in Puducherry and Mahe regions for today and tomorrow after
the dawn to dusk bandh call by CPI(M), AIADMK and BSP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi