Eight policemen convicted for custodial death of woman
New Delhi: Under pressure from Opposition on the VVIP helicopter scam, Government on Friday insisted that there was "no delay" in ordering a probe and asked BJP, which has demanded an investigation by a parliamentary panel, to approach it on the issue instead of going to media.
External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid said government could not act earlier as information into the allegations was not forthcoming despite its sincere efforts.
"I do not think there was any delay (in ordering a probe) as the reports were unconfirmed reports about some questions being asked outside our jurisdiction. We were asked by the MoD to seek information and information was sought from Italy as well as UK. But no information was forthcoming," he said.
Asked why his Ministry could not get information about the alleged kickbacks in the deal, Khurshid said when information was available with the government, a probe was ordered immediately.
"You can only go upto a point without a jurisdiction and as and when that information was made available, government acted immediately. I don`t think you can just keep fishing and jumping the gun and ordering inquiries. When there is that level of information available that required an inquiry the government acts immediately as we have now," he said.
Insisting that the specifications for the choppers were changed during the NDA regime, Khurshid rejected claims that those involved in it had political patronage.
On BJP`s demand for a probe by a Parliamentary panel, Khurshid said "they are demanding JPC through you (media). They should rather demand for JPC from the government. There is a procedure under which they should approach government over the issue."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what