Engg student commits suicide, ragging alleged
Ghaziabad: A 19-year-old first year student
of an engineering college near here allegedly committed
suicide by jumping from the roof of the hostel and his family
suspected that it was a fallout of ragging.
Abhishek Sahai, hailing from Ranchi in Jharkhand,
apparently jumped from the roof of the hostel of S R M
Institute of Engineering and Management in Modi Nagar, 20 kms
from here, at around 9.30 pm Sunday night, police said.
He was rushed to Fortis Hospital in Noida where he died
Tuesday morning. His family has alleged that he was ragged by
seniors and the incident could be linked to that, police said.
Superintendent of Police (Rural) M M Beg said the
student`s family has alleged that he was ragged and the matter
is being probed from all angles.
Sahai`s family members said he had earlier sent an SMS to
one of his friends saying that he was being ragged. Sahai
joined the institute a week ago.
The college administration has denied that there was any
ragging and said he was under depression for the last two
Anil Verma, the PRO of the college, said he was alone on
the roof at that time and no one else was there, so the
question of ragging does not arise.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'