Enhancement in judges retirement age under consideration: Moily
Chandigarh: The proposal of enhancement of
retirement age of High Court judges from 62 to 65 years was
under active consideration but a formal decision on the issue
was yet to be taken, Union Law minister M Veerappa Moily said
here on Sunday.
Moily, who was in city for attending the All India Law
Congress organised at Panjab University campus, told reporters
here that the issue of enhancement of age was being talked
about for a long but was yet to be considered for a final
"Efforts were being made to fill up all the vacant posts
at various level of judiciary -- from Supreme Court to sub
division courts -- within six months for the faster disposal
of pending cases," he said.
To a query about the questions raised on the success of
the present system of appointment of judges, Moily said the
issue needed to be considered in length but would be decided
only after taking the judiciary in confidence.
Asked about the separate High Court for Punjab and
Haryana, he said representations had been received in this
regard and opinions were being sought from various authorities
In response to another question on kith and kin of judges
practicing in High Courts, Moily said this issue would be
taken care of in the proposed Judges Standards and
Accountability Bill finalised by the Union Law Ministry.
Refusing to comment on queries on the Justice Nirmal
Yadav case, Moily said the issue was in judicial preview and
therefore, he was not inclined to speak on it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM