‘Even Beni Prasad Verma cannot save Afzal Guru’
New Delhi: After saying Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru should not be hanged, Union minister Beni Prasad Verma on Thursday swiftly retracted his statement reportedly given to a news channel.
“I never gave any such statement,” ANI quoted Beni Prasad Verma as saying.
Only hours before, he had said: “Do not hang Afzal Guru but give him life imprisonment.”
The remarks came at a time when the UPA government is treading cautiously on the issue of the execution of death penalty awarded to Afzal Guru.
The remarks also came on a day when the nation is paying homage to the martyrs of terrorist attack on Parliament. On this day in 2001, heavily-armed terrorists had attacked the temple of democracy, killing 11 persons including five policemen.
Verma also faced opposition from within his Congress party we well, with Satyavrat Chaturvedi saying that Afzal Guru should be hanged immediately.
“Beni Prasad Verma cannot save him,” Chaturvedi said.
Samajwadi Party’s Mohan Singh also hit out at Beni Prasad Verma, saying the minister was a master of irresponsible statements.
Interestingly, Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh has also said that he favoured execution of death penalty awarded to Afzal Guru.
"I am in favour of the execution of capital punishment to Afzal Guru," he said.
The main Opposition BJP also raised the issue of Afzal Guru’s hanging today by giving notice for adjournment of Question Hour in the Lok Sabha.
Officially, the government has treated cautiously on the issue with Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde saying that he will look into Afzal Guru’s mercy plea after the Winter Session of Parliament.
It is not the first time Verma has courted controversy. In October this year, Verma had triggered one by saying, "I believe Salman Khurshid could not have embezzled Rs 71 lakh. It is a very small amount for a central minister. I would have taken it seriously if the amount was Rs 71 crore."
In August he had said that he is happy with the price rise as the farmers are benefitting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared