Ex-babu, cop to work for AAP for Re.1
New Delhi: Two former top government officials, including a bureaucrat, are to help the AAP government in Delhi realise its promise of `swaraj` and monitor the anti-corruption helpline for the people - at a token salary of Re.1 a month.
Former Madhya Pradesh chief secretary SC Behar, the man behind the successful concept of `gram swaraj`, that helped bring decision-making powers to the village level in the state, is to work at the token salary to help the AAP government draft its much-talked about swaraj (self-rule) legislation in Delhi.
Former Delhi Police joint commissioner N Dilip Kumar, who is to monitor the AAP government`s anti- corruption helpline to nab bribe takers, will also draw Re.1 per month as `symbolic amount`.
"Both (Behar and Kumar) have been appointed as advisors to the Delhi government and will draw a salary of Re 1," a top government official said.
Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal had decided to choose Behar for the "complicated" job of drafting swaraj to ensure participation of people in decision making through establishing "mohalla sabhas (community meetings).
Behar`s concept of `gram swaraj` in Madhya Pradesh was hailed by many, including foreign university scholars, for empowering village panchayats in decision making.
"Implementing swaraj in Delhi is a challenging job, as it is entirely different than gram swaraj in MP which is a rural state. Delhi is an urban state," Behar said.
Asked about the salary, he said: "When he (Kejriwal) asked me to work on swaraj and asked me what salary I would take, I said no salary please... just a token money of Re. 1 would do."
Kumar, who earned the sobriquet of "sting man" for carrying out 50 sting operations, says he and Kejriwal share the "same wave length" and this led him to work for the AAP government.
"We both (Kejriwal and he) are of the same mind," Kumar said.
Kumar will monitor the Delhi government`s just-launched anti-corruption helpline that helps people nab bribe takers.
The helpline - 1031 - was swamped with 23,000 calls in just two days and has already led to the arrest of three people so far and created fear among wrongdoers.
Interestingly, Behar is said to be close to Digvijay Singh of the Congress - the party which was hurt most by rookie AAP in the Delhi assembly elections.
Asked about his closeness to Singh, Behar said: "My contribution is not to a political party but to the government of Delhi, which happens to be led by AAP," Behar said.
The former bureaucrat said he has already started preliminary work for drafting the legislation, which a Delhi minister admitted, will not be a cake walk.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation