Ex-CJI JS Verma asks KGB to quit as NHRC chief
New Delhi: With the Income Tax department
alleging former Chief Justice of India K G Balakrishnan`s kin
possess "black money", ex-CJI J S Verma on Sunday demanded that
Balakrishnan should quit as NHRC chief and if he does not, the
President should intervene to get him removed from the post.
"I think he (Balakrishnan) should quit and if the
allegations are not true according to him, the burden lies on
him to prove them wrong and silence is no longer an option,"
Verma said reacting to the charge by the I-T department.
On if he refuses to step down, Verma said, "Well, in
that case, I think it`s time the President should move in to
take action. There is after all a provision for removal.
"So if he chooses to keep quiet and doesn`t have
himself cleared, well then, the removal proceedings should be
commenced," he said.
In further embarrassment to Balakrishnan, who is
currently the Chairperson of the National Human Rights
Commission (NHRC), the Income Tax authorities in Kochi had
alleged yesterday that three of his relatives were found to
possess black money during their investigation into
allegations of amassment of disproportionate wealth by them.
"As far as Justice Balakrishnan is concerned, I cannot
say anything. But as far as his relatives-- two sons-in-law
and brother are concerned, we have found there is black
money", Director General of Income Tax (Investigation), Kochi,
E T Lukose, had told reporters here.
Justice Balakrishnan`s sons-in-law P V Sreenijan and
M J Benny, both advocates, and brother K G Bhaskaran, former
Special government pleader, have been found to be possessing
black money, he had said.
Verma said, "He (Balakrishnan) continues to be NHRC
Chairman. His words hold no credibility. See, it`s like this.
Corruption is the most egregious form of human rights
"And a person accused of serious human rights
violation heading the National Human Rights Commission itself
is a great travesty of justice," the ex-Chief Justice of India
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir