Examining NGO letter on Gujarat snoopgate: Shinde
New Delhi: The Centre is "examining" a letter sent by a group of NGOs seeking its action in connection with Gujarat`s snoopgate controversy.
"We are examining it," Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said asked if the government was taking any action on the letter written by about 45 NGOs to the President.
The President`s office had later sent the signed letters to the Home Ministry. Two news portals, Cobrapost and Gulail, had claimed on November 15 that former Gujarat Home Minister Amit Shah had ordered illegal surveillance of a woman in the state at the behest of one "saheb".
Talking about other issues during his monthly press conference here, Shinde said he has "not seen" the latest order of the Supreme Court where it held that red beacons should be allowed to be used only by persons holding constitutional posts and high dignitaries.
He also said India has asked for extradition of jailed ULFA leader Anup Chetia from Bangladesh when the minister recently met his counterpart during an official ceremony in Tripura.
Talking about the situation in Uttar Pradesh`s Muzaffarnagar post the communal riots, Shinde said the Centre will obtain a report on the present situation from the state government.
Shinde also said the security personnel and policeman who fought terrorists during the November 26, 2008 Mumbai attacks had done an "excellent work" in ending the three-day siege in the metropolitan city.
He said he will "check" the facts about Maharashtra government`s submission to the Bombay High Court yesterday that though a proposal had been sent to the Centre for presenting gallantry awards to police officials and members of bomb disposal squads for fighting terrorists during the 26/11 attacks, it had rejected the names.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata