Execution of Veerappan’s aides imminent?
New Delhi: The execution of Veerappan’s four aides seems to be imminent as reports on Sunday suggested that doctors at the jail in Belgaum in Karnataka physically examined them and checked their blood pressure, height and weight Saturday night.
It is being learnt that all the four convicts - Gnanaprakash, Simon, Meesekar Madaiah and Bilavendran were asked to bathe and were later offered sweets. Following this, they were lodged in separate cells in the prison.
Interestingly, some media reports suggested that Veerappan’s aides would be executed on Sunday.
Veerappan`s elder brother Gnanaprakash and three others were awarded death sentence in 2004 in connection with a landmine blast at Palar in Karnataka in 1993 in which 22 police personnel were killed.
These developments come after the Supreme Court on Saturday refused to take up the mercy plea of the four aides of Veerappan for hearing, as there was no proof that the execution would take place on Sunday.
The matter was mentioned before the Chief Justice of India, Altamas Kabir, but he did not give a hearing to it, said a staff from his office when contacted.
Senior advocate Colin Gonsalves, who had mentioned the matter at the CJI`s residence, said the Chief Justice did not hear the matter this evening on the ground that there was no proof that execution will take place on Sunday.
He said the CJI told him that the matter will be taken up for hearing in due course.
Gonsalves and his associate advocate Samik Narain said they approached the apex court after getting information that the execution of death penalty will take place on Sunday.
"Now we are hoping that the execution will not take place tomorrow," they said, adding that they will again mention the matter before the court on Monday.
Veerappan’s aides had on Saturday moved the Supreme Court against the execution of their death penalty in connection with a landmine blast that had killed 22 policemen in Karnataka nearly 20 years ago.
Their mercy petition was rejected by President Pranab Mukherjee on February 13 and according to sources, their hanging has been fixed for tomorrow.
The four convicts are lodged in a jail in Belgaum in Karnataka.
A TADA court in Mysore had in 2001 sentenced them to life term which was enhanced to death sentence by the apex court.
Gang leader Veerappan was killed in an encounter with the Tamil Nadu police in October 2004.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah