Extradited Indian rape accused in Australian court
Melbourne: A 25-year-old Indian taxi driver, who is accused of raping a woman passenger two years ago in Australia, on Tuesday appeared briefly before a court here after being extradited from India.
Jaswinder Singh Mutta, who was extradited from India in January this year following his arrest by the Indian police, appeared in the Melbourne Magistrates Court.
Mutta allegedly raped 26-year-old passenger in his taxi late at night in the suburb of North Fitzroy on January 17, 2010.
He was charged with two counts of rape and one count of indecent assault, according to The Age newspaper.
Magistrate Jelena Popovic explained to Mutta that he had been brought before the court for a filing hearing.
Popovic said Mutta and his lawyer would be given access to the police brief of evidence against him by July 31.
Mutta was remanded in custody for a committal mention on August 31. He did not apply for bail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video