Fast breeder reactor gets critical component
Chennai: In a 20-hour operation that ended early Saturday, the Rs 5,600 crore (USD 1.25 billion) prototype fast breeder reactor (PFBR) built by Bharatiya Nabhikiya Vidyut Nigam Ltd (Bhavini) at Kalpakkam near here got its fourth critical component -- the 65-tonne inner vessel.
"The 65-tonne inner vessel has been successfully installed and bolted precisely inside the main vessel. The process started at 6.00 am Friday and got over around 2.00 am Saturday without any scratch to any of the components," Prabhat Kumar, project director at Bhavini, said.
With the meteorological department forecasting a clear sky Friday, Bhavini officials decided to lower the 11-metre tall conical shaped inner vessel into the already erected main vessel.
The inner vessel, which would support reactor components like pumps and heat exchangers, was ready for installation for nearly a week but cloudy weather deterred the officials to proceed further.
The sodium-cooled PFBR designed by the Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research (IGCAR) has three vessels -- a safety vessel, a main vessel and an inner vessel. A breeder reactor is one that breeds more material for a nuclear fission reaction than it consumes.
Outer-most is the stainless steel safety vessel (200 tonnes, 13 metres in diameter and 13 metres in depth) which was lowered into the reactor vault in June 2008.
The main vessel - 12.9 metres in diameter and 12.94 metres in height, weighing 206 tonnes - was lowered into the safety vessel December 2009.
The project achieved its third milestone in May this year when another critical component, thermal baffle, a cylindrical safety vessel weighing 60 tonnes, measuring 12 metres in diameter and more than six metres in height, was lowered into the main vessel.
The inner vessel installation process consists of opening and closing the reactor vault cover (now temporary), lifting the heavy component by a crane, lowering it into the main vessel at a precise position and bolting it properly.
"Precision is the major challenge in this operation though tonnage-wise inner vessel is much lighter than the other two vessels that were erected earlier," Kumar said.
But the process wasn`t entirely smooth.
"One of the hydraulic systems in a jack used to lift the inner vessel was found to be malfunctioning. It had to be replaced immediately," Kumar said.
The PFBR is expected to start operations next September.
After erecting the inner vessel, the top opening will be covered with a component called `roof slab` and the main vessel will be welded to it.
Other reactor components will be inserted into the main vessel through the opening in the roof slab.
Kumar is confident that 95 percent of the reactor components would be received by the end of this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27