FCI godown not used for stocking liquor: Govt
New Delhi: Government Friday said no godown of Food Corporation of India (FCI) was leased out for stocking liquor and the nation`s grain buyer had enough storages to
stock the commodity.
"I have seen the reports in one of the newspapers about one of the godowns being used for storage of liquor. I have gone into it in great detail. That godown is not controlled by
FCI," Food and Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar said replying
to a question in the Rajya Sabha.
Besides FCI, godowns are also owned and operated by state
governments, Warehousing Corporation of India and state
"Entire capacity is not booked by FCI," he said. "It is
true that the particular godown (mentioned in news reports)
used for storage of liquor does not belong to FCI."
Pawar said unlike most other states where procurement of
wheat and rice is done by state agencies and then passed on to
FCI, Uttar Pradesh has entrusted the entire task to a
As FCI is not present at all the mandis where wheat or
rice is sold, there have been complaints from the state, he
said. "FCI is not able to do (entire procurement in UP)."
Pawar said his ministry was talking to the state
government on the issue to seek help of state cooperatives in
Satish Chandra Misra (BSP) objected to Pawar`s statement
and said the Centre cannot blame the state government for its
Minister of State for Food and Consumers Affairs K V
Thomas said no FCI godown has been leased out for storage of
He denied that large quantity of wheat stored in Covered
and Plinth (CAP) area have been damaged.
"However, some quantity of wheat kept in CAP storage has
become non-issuable (damaged) due to rains, cyclone and
natural calamities which are beyond human control," he said.
In 2007-08, 147 tons of wheat valued for Rs 6.73 lakh was
damaged, 623 tons valued at Rs 28.50 lakh in 2008-09 and 716
tons worth Rs 32.76 lakh was damaged in 2009-10.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users