FDI in retail a Congress ploy to cover up scams: Venkaiah
Hyderabad: Lashing out at UPA government at Centre over FDI in multi-brand retail, senior BJP leader Venkaiah Naidu on Wednesday said, the move was a "cover up" by Congress to divert focus from "large-scale corruption and scams".
"Congress betrayed Parliament by not keeping its assurance on the issue of FDI. It had opposed FDI in retail while in opposition but now its leaders have become strong votaries of the anti-people policy," Naidu said while addressing a sit-in protest organised by his party at Indira Park here.
Alleging that UPA government was "neck-deep" in corruption and sky-rocketing prices putting a burning hole in the pockets of common man, Naidu said, "Congress had raked up so-called reforms to cover up its failure and massive scams".
He said corruption, price rise, inflation, FDI in retail, agricultural crisis involving farmers would be BJP`s major issues in the forthcoming elections.
Welcoming the hanging of Pakistani terrorist Ajmal Kasab for 26/11 Mumbai carnage, Naidu said, the 2001 Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru should also be executed to send across a strong message to terrorists.
Former union minister Bandaru Dattatreya, national BJP secretary K Laxman and state unit president G Kishan Reddy also addressed the sit-in protest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security