Fight back attempts to `defame` Goa: Chief Minister Kamat
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Digamber Kamat
today appealed to the citizens to unitedly fight against
"attempts to defame the state highlighting certain incidents".
In an apparent reference to the Russian girl rape case
in which a politician, John Fernandes, is the accused, he said
there are a few incidents about which he feels ashamed.
"But we also feel that Goa is being defamed over such
incidents and all Goans should unitedly fight back such
attempts," Kamat said while addressing a parade organised to
mark the 48th Goa Liberation Day.
The Chief Minister said a few isolated cases won`t
deter tourists from visiting Goa, a popular holiday
destination. "Tourists have full faith in Goa and Goans."
Kamat took guard of honour at Campal Parade Ground
here. On this day in 1961, Goa was liberated from Portuguese
rule after culmination of Indian Army`s `Operation Vijay`.
Terrorism remains a concern for the state, the Chief
Minister said, adding a few groups were trying to divide the
society on communal lines. "Don`t fall for the lucrative
promises made by these groups."
Kamat said his government had launched several welfare
schemes for the people. He reiterated the resolve to fight
Karnataka`s plans to divert Mhadei River water.
On the occasion, he presented citations to award
winners in different categories for meritorious government
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings