Finally, Dalai Lama conferred doctorate by Jamia
New Delhi: The Dalai Lama was Tuesday conferred an honorary Doctor of Letters (D.Lit) degree by Delhi`s Jamia Millia Islamia university and the Tibetan spiritual leader said he was "highly honoured".
The university vice chancellor, Najeeb Jung awarded the degree to the Dalai Lama in the presence of Human Resources Development Minister Kapil Sibal.
"I feel highly honoured to get this degree from an Islamic university. One of my main concerns is religious harmony," the Dalai Lama said.
Thousands of students attended the annual convocation of the central university where 3,529 degrees and diplomas, 127 Ph.D. degrees and 147 gold medals were awarded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA