Finally, Dalai Lama conferred doctorate by Jamia
New Delhi: The Dalai Lama was Tuesday conferred an honorary Doctor of Letters (D.Lit) degree by Delhi`s Jamia Millia Islamia university and the Tibetan spiritual leader said he was "highly honoured".
The university vice chancellor, Najeeb Jung awarded the degree to the Dalai Lama in the presence of Human Resources Development Minister Kapil Sibal.
"I feel highly honoured to get this degree from an Islamic university. One of my main concerns is religious harmony," the Dalai Lama said.
Thousands of students attended the annual convocation of the central university where 3,529 degrees and diplomas, 127 Ph.D. degrees and 147 gold medals were awarded.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!